CosDan

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cosdan, a Brunei Cosplay Forum where people currently residing in Brunei gathers to talk about cosplay, anime, merchandises and anything to do with Japan's sub-culture.

Welcome to the new and upmost version of Cosdan. Hope everyone who once joined at the old forum will join this new one once again, to build everything that we have hope for from the start! New members, please re-introduce yourself at the Introduction section and take your time to read the improved rules and regulations. Wouldn't want to get on our bad side. Be sure to contribute, even a little. Lastly, have fun and enjoy yourselves!

4 posters

Is Brunei ready?

Poll

Do you think Brunei people are ready to accept cosplay or see cosplayers in public? Such as showing up in the mall or big places.

[ 0 ]
    Is Brunei ready? Bar_left0%Is Brunei ready? Bar_right [0%] 
    [ 3 ]
    Is Brunei ready? Bar_left38%Is Brunei ready? Bar_right [38%] 
    [ 2 ]
    Is Brunei ready? Bar_left25%Is Brunei ready? Bar_right [25%] 
    [ 1 ]
    Is Brunei ready? Bar_left13%Is Brunei ready? Bar_right [13%] 
    [ 2 ]
    Is Brunei ready? Bar_left24%Is Brunei ready? Bar_right [24%] 

Total Votes: 8
    Poll closed
    Takezo
    Takezo

Is Brunei ready? Empty Is Brunei ready?

Post  Takezo Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:23 pm

Unable to make full details of a scale. But hey, do post your opinions here if its not shown on the poll.

Anything is much appreciated. And no flaming ya, be well behaved rabbit
    raidenokreuz76
    raidenokreuz76

Is Brunei ready? Empty Re: Is Brunei ready?

Post  raidenokreuz76 Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:32 pm

it might be accepted for the younger generations but im not sure about the older ones especially those who sticked into brunei culture a lot ( mib hissss lol )

i guess it depend on the type of outfit peopel wear, it may be acceptable at a certain degree but it may be not if cosplayer start walking out to the mall with colorful hair and weird props that they hold / or sticking out on their costumes o_o
    Takezo
    Takezo

Post  Takezo Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:37 pm

well, lets make it that the costumes doesnt matter, just that us wearing costumes doin'skits and stuff.

My statement now is just to minimise the uncertain factors.
    Sephy
    Sephy

Post  Sephy Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:54 am

Neutral hmm .. i think people would still raise their eyebrows looking at cosplayers. This is afterall Brunei, so like. . . only a some people know what cosplay really is.
    Takezo
    Takezo

Post  Takezo Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:30 am

one of the best way is to have constant exposure of cosplay to the public, then ut'll become a norm by the time comes.

That's still far for brunei though.
    MunirBinJulaihi
    MunirBinJulaihi

Post  MunirBinJulaihi Mon May 25, 2009 1:29 pm

I... don't think it's okay wearing some costumes, 'cause they think that we are crazy. I still remember when my friend wears this Sasuke costume and I was like, "Dude! The fuc k you doin'?! People will call you crazy!" and he was like, "Ah, I don't care about them". Then, when he does, he's been asked by a security guard and been kicked out from the Mall. He's been kicked, but I didn't, 'cause I'm wearing a normal outfit.

When the time I went out to the Mall, his face was all red and I said to him, "See? I told you so... You never listen to what I'm saying, dude..."

So, I suggest that DO NOT WEAR COSTUMES IN PUBLIC. Or you'll be end up like my friend....
    Takezo
    Takezo

Post  Takezo Mon May 25, 2009 2:20 pm

I can see why he's been kicked out. One reason is the akatsuki costume looks of chinese taoist or whatsoever style of attire.

It would not be a hard target for securities to find excuses to kick u out.

If it were to be costumes like a bit near modern or near future clothes like Final Fantasy 7,8 ish ones or Air Gear.

As long as it doesnt look too "old" then cosplay wont seem weird.

This is only about costume, but when wigs, make-ups and props come into play, we are brunei's full fledged freak as they call it.
    Fudge

Is Brunei ready? Empty Japanese culture and language week at UBD

Post  Fudge Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:27 pm

Hey guys, newbie here.

Well I know how 'challenging' it is to be a cos-er in Brunei. But UBD recently held a Japanese Culture and Language Week. Cosplay was a part of the event. Unfortunately, it barely received any attention. They people in charge of the event did not made any advertisement nor there was enough publicity to create a buzz. On a brighter side, I did experience a pinch of cosplay during the event.

A friend of mine dressed up as a butler, another as a princess, others as samuray warriors, video game characters etc. People were quite eager to take photos with the cos-ers.

Maybe we should take a more active role and be more involved in an event like this? Even just for the sake of showing up in our cool outfits!
    Fudge

Is Brunei ready? Empty Working within Limits

Post  Fudge Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:37 pm

Hey guys,

So I heard you all complainin about how other people perceive cos-ers as 'freaks' or 'WTH are you wearing??"

Well one tip is to dress up according to context.
    Functions and events, specifically themed as Anime or Cosplay should be fun and it allows us to express our undying interest in cosplay, a japanese sub-culture. Bear in mind though, for Muslims should stay away from other religious related costumes such as the Christian Symbol of the holy cross, a buddhist taoist and so on. For ladies, going for more conservative costumes would be great especially if the event is publicly held.

My other tip is to open a Brunei Cosplay facebook where we can relate to each other more effectively. We can be aware of public cosplay events (e.g Japanese culture and language events) or we can plan to hold our own private events, for a better degree of freedom. Of course, with FB, we can also post pictures of our events and encourage others to join our group as well.

Just a few ideas. I understand that we are living in Brunei, where limits are not too loose, but I'm sure we can work around and within these limits.

Main point of cosplay? TO have fun wherever we are!

- steps down from the podium -
    Takezo
    Takezo

Post  Takezo Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:58 pm

a good entry, but its been done before for quite a while now. We cosplayed at the last JCW as well last year. The forum admin and founder cosplayed there again this year too.

So I am sorry to say the solutions you suggested are a bit of redundant as its already been done years before you have answered.

The questions is how much the brunei public would accept cosplayers not necessarily in public venues but as a whole it self. Although we may be in cosplay events doin our own cosplay, but question is how are the public feeling toward this hobby is the issue. not the venue and where we should cosplay.

Dress according to context
    - Been doin that for years and a lot of time the first questions that pops up when most bruneian cos-ers choose a costume is " will this be MIB acceptable" and aspects of the likes.

Brunei Cosplay FB
    -Been around for 3 months now since the last DM

And lastly, it ain't complain Fudge, its a discussion.

Cheers mate.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:51 pm